Heritage Marker Program

 

The Hanover Township Heritage Marker program began in April of 2011 to recognize and promote the many historic locations in Hanover Township. 

Do you have an idea for a Heritage Marker in Hanover Township? Please send us an email to iwcr@hanover-township.org or give us a call at 847-888-8329. 

 

Hanover Township Heritage Markers

 

Ahlstrand Park

6900 Catalpa Street
Hanover Park

DEDICATED: April 30, 2011

Hanover Park Police Chief Carl Ahlstrand was killed by a semi-trailer in the line of duty on February 22, 1959 performing a routine traffic stop. Ahlstrand Park was named in his honor by the Hanover Park Park District on June 18, 1964. 

Please click here to read a story on the Ahlstrand Park Heritage Marker dedication.

 

Immanuel United Church of Christ Cemetery

1500 Old Church Road
Streamwood, IL 60107

DEDICATED: September 28, 2011

Immanuel Church and cemetery was created in 1852 for German settlers living in Hanover Township. Those laid to rest include three civil war veterans and several early settlers. 

Please click here to read a story on the Immanuel United Church of Christ Cemetery Heritage Marker dedication. 

Hoosier Grove Schoolhouse

700 West Irving Park Road
Streamwood, IL 60107

DEDICATED: October 29, 2011

Built in 1904, this one-room schoolhouse served the Hanover Township community for 50 years. 

Please click here to read a story on the Hoosier Grove Schoolhouse Heritage Marker Dedication. 

 

Lords Park 

100 Oakwood Boulevard
Elgin, IL 60120

DEDICATED: June 23, 2012

This marker commemorates the generous gift of 50 acres donated by George & Mary Lord in 1892 to the residents of Elgin. Mr. Lord served as Mayor of Elgin from 1879 to 1880 and President of the Board of Education. 

Please click here for a story on the Lords Park Heritage Marker Dedication.

 

Leatherman Homestead

Villa Olivia
1401 West Lake Street
Bartlett, IL 60103

DEDICATED: September 18, 2013

The marker commemorates pioneers Abraham and Mary Leatherman who settled on what is now Villa Olivia, in 1835. In addition to other businesses, the Leathermans managed an Inn where Hanover Township was organized on April 2, 1850 and for several years, was the location of the Township meetings. 

Please click here for a story on the Leatherman Homestead Heritage Marker Dedication. 
 

 

Lion Bridge

Southeast corner of IL Route 59 & IL Route 58
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169

Dedicated: November 22, 2014

The marker commemorates the Lion Bridge located at the southeast intersection of IL Route 59 and IL Route 58.  Constructed in 1906, the bridge is the earliest example of a reinforced concrete bridge in the state.  The bridge continues to be appreciated by the local community and Hanover Township residents.  Originally believed to be used by local farmers, it is most popularly used now for recreational activities in the forest preserves.