Hanover Township Assisting with LIHEAP Applications!
Financial heating assistance offered to qualifying residents.
Hanover Township is now scheduling appointments with qualifying residents seeking financial heating assistance for the upcoming winter season. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps eligible low-income households pay for home energy services.
Beginning October 2, Township staff will only be able to file applications for residents over the age of 60 or with a Social Security approved disability. Disabled residents must bring proof of disability to their appointment. Starting November 1, households that have received a disconnection notice, are currently disconnected, or have a child aged five or under, will be able to file an application. All income-eligible households can file applications with Township staff after December 1.
Residents must bring all required documentation when applying for assistance including:
• Proof of gross income from all household members for the 30-day period preceding the date of application.
• A copy of the current heat and electric bills issued within the last 30 days (if household pays for their energy directly).
• A copy of their rental agreement (if they are renting) showing that all utilities are included, the monthly rental amount and property owner contact information.
• Proof of Social Security numbers for all household members (copies will not be accepted).
• Proof that their household received Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); Aid to the Aged, Blind, or Disabled (AABD); or other benefits, such as Medical Eligibility or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), if receiving assistance from the Illinois Department of Human Services.
Senior citizens over the age of 55 seeking to schedule an appointment should call the Hanover Township Senior Center at (630) 483-5660. Low-income residents under the age of 55 should call the Hanover Township Astor Avenue Community Center at (630)-540-9085.